They say reflection is good for the soul, so we wanted to take a look back at the past year at PSTA and see what we’ve accomplished.
- Although we were disappointed that the Greenlight Pinellas Referendum didn’t pass, but we are exceedingly proud of the unprecedented educational effort that took place. Our staff attended nearly 600 presentations and events, and spoke with more than 150,000 people over 18 months. We talked to riders, non-riders, residents, tourists, seniors, students, families, and workers about public transit. And while voters ultimately did not agree about how to fund the planned improvements, we heard over and over about how important PSTA is to so many people in our community.
- Our record ridership last year is proof that transit matters. The months of June, July, August, and September each had their highest ridership ever. And, overall for the fiscal year that ran from October 2013 through September 2014, PSTA’s annual ridership reached a record total of 14,503,349 boardings.
- With that many people boarding the bus each month, our Real Time Bus Information system had a great workout. The system sent out 1.8 million text messages, the website was accessed 530,582 times, and the automated telephone system gave info to 1.3 million callers. Overall, the Real Time system gave bus arrival info nearly 3.7 million times last year! Our riders have really embraced this new technology that makes it easier to use public transit.
- Riding the bus also got easier for students, faculty, and staff at USF St. Petersburg and St. Petersburg College, and employees of the City of St. Petersburg with the launch of the Universal Pass program, also called U-Pass. This special partnership allows agencies, major employers, schools, and universities to pay PSTA an annual rate in exchange for unlimited public transit access for their employees or students.
- The launch of the system-wide free Wifi access made that easy ride even more enjoyable. Now passengers can listen to music, handle emails, visit with friends on Facebook, or take a PSTA customer satisfaction survey just by connecting to the free Wifi signal on our buses. This important amenity allows our riders to make good use of their commute time.
As we head into 2015, the management and staff of PSTA want you to know that we remain committed to providing excellent public transit service to our community. We appreciate all of our riders, and thank you for making public transit matter.